A method for estimating the cholesterol content of the serum low-density lipoprotein fraction (Sf0-20) is presented. The method involves measurements of fasting plasma total cholesterol, triglyceride, and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol concentrations, none of which requires the use of the preparative ultracentrifuge. Comparison of this suggested procedure with the more direct procedure, in which the ultracentrifuge is used, yielded correlation coefficients of .94 to .99, depending on the patient population compared.
- hyperlipoproteinemia classification
- determination of plasma total cholesterol, triglyceride, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol
- beta lipoproteins
- Received for publication February 29, 1972.
- Accepted for publication March 13, 1972.
- © 1972 The American Association of Clinical Chemists, Inc.